Saturday, May 16, 2009

Open source healthcare

I was watching a video with Tim Ferriss and Kevin Rose last night (link) and one of the things they talked about that really struck me was a site called Cure Together. Check out the site, but basically it's a source for people to track their own success or failure with treatments for medical conditions, as well as get some ideas on what they might have by entering symptoms.

Users enter their own results, which is added to the pool. You can literally track anything you want (they have a widget for it). Stealing from one of their blog posts, people are tracking things like:

  • Exercise (minutes)
  • Hydration (%)
  • Laughter (units)
  • Productivity (pages)
  • Web-networking (hrs)


(not a complete list, by any means)

I love the concept, and their implementation is amazing. Some of the odder things being tracked would have a hard time getting funded in a traditional study (web-networking?) but can be useful for the day-to-day lives of those with the condition.

And since my wife has anxiety, it's a good source of data for my family. I've almost convinced her to try kettlebells (best form of exercise I have ever found).

No comments:

Post a Comment