Tuesday, October 5, 2010

On the shortness of life

I'm reading "Steppenwolf" and I'm very impressed with the perspective the author takes on his characters approach to life. To me it's a great contrast between Steppenwolf and Seneca, who I've also been very impressed by. Both approach the subject of how a man can become a slave to his passions, and rather than mastering the thing he loves, become a victim to it. However, they both approach it from different angles. Seneca has mastered his passions, or has at least mastered appearing to have them mastered. Steppenwolf is still a victim to them; seeing the conflict they put him in but still drawn in by their decadence. I find myself in the same conflict. Can I really be a master of myself, or will I always be subject to the currents of the culture I'm in? I'm constantly tempted by the easy path of going along with the common thread, but I'm repulsed by it at the same time.

I don't know. I'll keep reading, and see where it takes me. Would the benefits of going with the flow outweigh the costs? I doubt it, but I could be wrong. There's not just me to consider either. Whatever path I take will influence my son. Do I want him to have a simple, contented life or a conflicted, up-and-down life? I'm genuinely torn about the right answer.

Posted via email from Iain's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment