Monday, March 29, 2010

I'll keep it simple: if you're into tech, read this

`The operating system of the internet
Draws a great parallel between computing in the 1980s and now. Back then, people were struggling to make different programs play nicely together. MS Windows stepped in to fill the gap. Now we have the same sort of challenge with websites. Who is stepping in? Google mainly, but also open applications like XML and the like. The whole idea is allowing developers to move to a higher level of abstraction. If I don't have to worry about driver compatibility, I can spend more time making my program really great. The same applies with the web. If I don't have to worry about making my code compatible with a dozen different formats, I can focus on making a powerful web-app.
It also includes a nuanced discussion of content control online (as opposed to the normal knee jerk reactions). He also implies other coming technologies, like the new wave of advertising (focused on social networks) which my generation may not be immune to, the way we are the advertising of our parents.
He's also upfront about some unsolved problems, like keeping your coworkers separate from your social friends online. How can I bitch about my boss if he's my friend on Facebook? We need to figure that out.
Overall, great article. Some insightful perspectives, but also leaving some questions open.

Posted via email from Iain's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment